Saturday, June 6, 2009

Recovery

Slowly but surely, the hair is getting better. The elasticity is getting back to normal and it doesn't tangle as much when I brush it. Hooray!

Downer: My hair will not curl. I hate to straighten my hair. It's a pain and it's short in the back, so it's hard to get the hair to lay right in the back because the growth pattern back there goes sideways.

I tried to wear my hair curly this week to no avail. It turned out to be just a fuzzy kinda kinked look. It's (the hair) trying to curl, but I think I broke the curl structure in the hair by using so much bleach. I've been avoiding straightening my hair because it takes forever to dry due to the porosity and the hair wouldn't comb.

Today, my parents and I were planning on driving up to my brother's house to witness my niece's baptism (I'm LDS or Mormon, whichever you recognize...it's the same religion), so I got up and showered. I'm using silicones in my Redken Extreme line products I purchased to try and repair the damage I've done, so I mixed some shampoo with conditioner in a hair color applicator bottle and mixed it, then applied it to my scalp and scrubbed. This seems to help my hair keep the moisture it desperately needs while allowing me to get the silicones out of my hair. Anyway, back on task. I got in the shower, washed, put some Redken Extreme CAT Reconstructor and let it sit while I shaved one leg. After rinsing that out, I applied some Biolage Conditioning Balm with some KBB Nectar mixed in and let it sit while I shaved the other leg and washed my body. I rinsed, applied some Redken Extreme Anti-Snap leave-in and put it up in a towel (I knew it had to be straightened, so I was trying to get as much water out as I could). I left it up in the towel turban, then switched the sides of the towel and put it up in the towel turban again while I got dressed.

After taking it out of the towel turban, I put some Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Balm, combed it through, then began to dry it. I'm kind of a freak of nature when it comes to straightening my hair. I like to dry it upside down with the nozzle just blowing the hair everywhere until it's slightly damp, then I start to use the round brushes or paddle brush, depending on how long my hair is. Right now it's a round brush. To my surprise, the hair would actually do what I wanted and dried smooth (and pretty fast) and doesn't look fuzzy on the ends anymore. The best part is that it actually moves now! Before, it was in such bad shape that when I straightened it, it just stayed put and wouldn't move in the breeze or when I moved my head. I hate that. Hair should move. Period.

So, I'm starting to think this can work until my hair grows out into curls again. Hallelujah, I say!

Sorry for the boringness (I know that probably isn't a word, but I liked it anyway), but maybe it'll give someone else some hope if they did what I did to my hair.

So, ta-ta for now!

3 comments:

  1. Can I ask why you're using silicones? I thought that they prevented moisure from getting to the hair, clogged the follicles, and required harsh sulfectants. Isn't the best thing for damaged hair to go no poo and as gentle and moisturizing as possible? Just asking because you obviously know a ton about hair and I'm dealing with my own dry, damaged hair. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm using silicones because right now in order to straighten my hair and have it keep the shape, silicones are needed. They can also help protect the stressed hair from outside damage. I do use a sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner to help counteract the drying effects and it seems to be working well. I've also done a lot of reading on silicones and it seems the ones I'm using aren't as bad as people make them out to be. They can actually be removed by a low-poo and can allow moisture to penetrate when needed. No-poo never worked for me, so it definitely not a choice when I'm straightening my hair and the silicones don't touch my scalp, just the shaft of the hair. Did that answer it all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect, thanks very much. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete