Friday, April 3, 2009

Catchin' up

So, the diet is going well. I'm getting a little into a rebellion phase where I just want a piece of pizza or a bowl of spaghetti (I have some sneaky plans that involve zucchini as noodles for my vegetable), or even a grilled cheese sandwich! I cleaned my room because my brother's family is coming down for General Conference and my room is the only room with a queen size bed. AKA I give up my bedroom (which is always cluttered with stuff, clothes, books, makeup, medication, shoes) and I found 1/4 bag of peanut butter M&M's and 1/2 bag Skittle and 1/2 bag of Cookies 'n Cream kisses. Man, it was definitely hard to throw them away. It's especially hard to cook for just one person. I've tried cooking enough for the 3 of us, but nobody will eat my food. It really does taste good, I promise! And this weekend is going to be a trial from hell. I'll explain.

Some of you may be asking "What the heck is General Conference?" Well, I'm LDS as is my whole family. Our church bi-annually holds what is called General Conference. It's held in a huge conference center in Utah, but it's televised nation wide. We were lucky enough when we were kids to just be able to stay home and watch it because we live in Utah. People outside Utah were not so lucky in the past and had to go to their churches. Anyway, I digress. Years ago, my dad started a tradition of taking the boys out to get ice cream after the General Priesthood session. Think of it like a men's pow-wow, whipping them back into shape. This eventually evolved to dinner and eventually the girls were invited. Now that everybody but me are married, the spouses and the males over the age of 12 all go. Yes, It's a big crowd. This time, there will probably be 11 people. Usually, if we have all the kids (as in my siblings) and their kids of age, there would be 15-16. We have a nice dinner, talk about what was discussed, then hike it home. So, finding something to go along with my diet guidelines is going to be a challenge.

2 out of my 4 siblings live in the Greater Salt Lake Area, so they just drive home and drive back over the next morning. I have one sibling who lives in College Station, TX and they recreate the activities there because it's become such a tradition. I have one brother who lives in Logan, UT, which is about 90 miles away...something like that. They're the ones who end up crashing at Grandma and Grandpa's. The kids love it because they don't get to spend a lot of time with our side of the family.

Anyway, the next morning, Sunday morning, my dad creates this huge feast. I usually end up helping because the other siblings don't arrive until right before breakfast is supposed to happen. When I say huge...I mean huge. We're talking (remember, this is usually for 15 people and we can't seem to whittle down the food, which is okay because we munch on the food all day) 3-4 lbs of bacon 3 lbs of patty sausage 3 lbs of link sausage, 1 lbs of grilled ham, hashbrowns, eggs, cinnamon rolls, toast, orange cranberry biscuits, juices...the works! Now, tell me, how am I supposed to maintain a diet when we're eating succulent food like that?!

Basically, I'm planning on gaining some weight in the next day or so. They say it takes 3 days to recover from a slip-up in the diet. Great.

1 comment:

  1. That took a lot of willpower to toss the candy. Especially the pb M&Ms. :o) It sounds like your family has some fun traditions for Conference weekend!

    ReplyDelete