Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Giving it another go!

So, I hennaed my roots last night, overnight, and was rinsing it out this morning. Lately, I have had the flakiest and itchiest scalp ever. I know it's not dandruff, just dry, since the rest of my skin feels the same way. It doesn't help that this diet has forbidden the use of any "nourishing" oils. Not in cooking, not in face cream, not in lotions. I have broken the rules for my hair, but haven't been rubbing it into my scalp as I'm trying to adhere to the spirit of the law, if not the letter of it. No wonder the scalp has been so dry! I've been using shampoo, of course, making it worse because I never was able to get co-washing to work for me.

Well, today, while bent over the tub rinsing out the mud from my hair, I decided to try using what was left of my Suave Tangerine whatever conditioner. I had been using it as a shave cream. I grabbed it, squirted some onto my hand, worked it into my fingers and slid my fingers very carefully to my scalp through the upside-down hair. I rubbed and rubbed, then took another dollop and worked it into each section of hair upside down. I must say...this seemed like a good co-wash.

And since my scalp is dry and itchy, henna makes my hair dryer and the season's are changing to super-dry instead of mildly dry, I decided that I would give co-washing another try. Keep in mind that last week, I bought a whole bunch of "good for your shampoos/body washes" because my skin had been acting up so bad. Guess I'll have a little more for body wash, huh? I trekked off (literally, trekked, as in walked...I don't walk anywhere, usually, but the store was less than a block away. We live in the neighborhood behind it.) to the Kmart and browsed the selections. I was a little disappointed by the selection, but finally found what I was looking for.

I ended up purchasing 4. Yes, 4! conditioners! I purchased Suave Juicy Green Apple, Cherry Blossom something (that took some looking), the new GF Body Boost that is silicone free. I love the smell of GF as a whole, but the other conditioners I bought as well. Then, lastly, I bought VO5 Blackberry Tea something conditioner.

So...wish me luck on my journey. This may end badly like it did before, but I think I might have the hang of how to do it now. Maybe my poor hair will become less dry, my scalp less dry and itchy, and my curls a little tighter. Here's hopin'!

2 comments:

  1. I have joined your weight loss battle. I have been very diligent this semester with exercising. Partly because if I get straight A's and exercise 4x week Leslie will buy me a Wii. Things are looking promising. I struggle at the in Austin. Every meal brought to the Ronald McDonald House came with dessert, which happens to be my nemesis. Since being home I have dropped 10 pounds and have hit my plateau of 240. Keep up the good work. We will keep pushing each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, a Wii is always a good incentive! If you can't get off your plateau, maybe you could consider the hCG diet also? I talked with my doctor about it and she said I would be fine to do it. No lasting effects, blah, blah, blah. You can order the "kit" online (takes about 6 weeks to get) and mix it yourself for about $45, I think. I am being really successful for the first time in eating right and losing the weight. I just sorta melts off. Mom says you can see the difference in my face, but my body measurements have yet to show a lot of shrinkage.

    ReplyDelete