Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I'm so excited...And I just can't hide it!

Next week, people. Next week. We begin cutting weeks (there are 2 weeks of it). I am sooooo excited to cut my nasty, scraggly haired mannequin!

Today we reviewed chemical relaxer procedures, then went over blow drying. You would think that drying a head of hair would be easy. Noooooo. There is a specific technique our school uses. Yeah, it gets the hair really smooth (well, as smooth as a nasty mannequin head can get), but it is a pain in the butt. So, this is day 2 of blow-drying. Yesterday we learned how to blow dry with a paddle brush, a denman (they call it some funky number but it's essentially a denman brush), or a regular plastic brush. Today, we did round brushing. Holy pains, people! No wonder so many stylists dry the clients hair and straighten it! Round brushing is my new hate project, I'm telling you!

After we got our mannequins dry, we went on break to let the smoke/haze clear from the room. Then we got started on the smoothing iron (read: flat iron). This was actually fun. Yeah, they have a special technique. Yeah, it gives really great smooth hair. Yeah, I'm intrigued. Not enough to do it to myself much. I did get asked today whether or not I've ever used a flat iron. And a surprised reaction when I said I only started going curly a year ago. I am intimately familiar with smoothing/flat irons! Mine is currently gathering dust.


Then we moved on to curling irons. This is what mine looks like. This might be my new hate passion. We have to be able to do barrel rolls and side rolls for our state board or something. Let me tell you that I think I might be without skin by the time I master this curling iron!

The barrel rolls I can't even explain because it's so complicated. It's times like this when I wish I had 4 hands. You have to spin the curling iron while clamping and unclamping the clampie thingie (I know, technical) and wrap the hair around it until eventually the end of the hair is caught in the clampie thingie, then hold it for a bit, then clamp and unclamp the clampie thingie until it's no longer got hair inside the clampie thingie and pull the barrel out. Got all that? Good, at least none of us do!

And that, my dear people, was the end of the night. After dealing with scraggly, nasty hair and trying to style it with a blow dryer, smoothing iron and curling iron, I'm read to whack this nasty things hair off! Do you think they designed it that way? By the time you can actually cut it, you're so sick of the gross hair that you're doing cartwheels and spirit fingers just to have the chance to have scissors around it?

No comments:

Post a Comment