Friday, February 13, 2009

Showdown at the OK Corral


Last night in class, we had...hmmmm...shall we say...a confrontation?

Lately, one of my classmates seems to have missed a lot of class. We're assured it's not so, so I have to trust that they know better than I. Some of the other classmates have expressed frustration about some people getting away with not being here more than others.

We received a talking to earlier in the week about worrying about our own selves and that some people have extenuating circumstances in which exceptions are made.

Guess that talk didn't take. There was a confrontation between a classmate "missing class" and another classmate. They had a heated discussion, which our instructor heard the end of and she lost it. We all got a very scary, very unnerving talking to. I could feel an anxiety attack creeping up on me and was freaking out because I didn't have any pills with me. Good thing it went away...sort of.

I couldn't help but think that it was like returning to high school. Our median age is roughly 25. The "missing classmate" in question is 18, the "complaining (The classmate wasn't the only one murmuring about it, they were just the only one who had their confidant go to the girl and tell them what they said) classmate" is married with 3 children. I would guess their age to be somewhere near 40.

Yes, people are going to be frustrated. Yes, it's not going to seem fair. Is it really worth it to talk smack (I had actually listened to another classmate mention their frustration over it, but they voiced their opinion that it was between the "missing classmate" and the school, I agreed and that was the end of it)? I mean, it's not like I have a whole lot of room to talk, since I've missed 3 days myself. And I tell you what...there are days when I don't feel good and I don't want to go to class. I know I could get it worked out with the school. But I've seen how hard it is to catch up, so I at least make an attempt to get to school. So far, I've been able to stick it through the night.

I don't know how this will end up, but it was definitely a tense night inside the classroom. Outside, a few of us were able to kind of talk about it and resolve it in our own ways and the instructor was able to laugh about it later. I think the scariest part was seeing our poor instructor trying to calm herself down. Names were named, which I don't exactly agree with, but then again, I don't need to.

Note to self: Keep head down and do your work. Don't piss off the instructor. And keep your thoughts to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment