Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Haircutting

The past 2 weeks have been haircutting week. My poor instructor kept on having to remind my fellow classmates that we're learning to cut hair, not do haircuts. We're just getting the basics down. Let me just state that these really are not pleasing to the eye. But they have been fun as we've been able to whack off all our nasty mannequin hair.

Yesterday, we did mens cuts on one of our mannequin heads. They showed us how to to a scissor-over-comb cut and a clipper-over-comb cut. They do not allow us to use clipper guards while we are in school. That's cool. I liked my clipper-over-comb experience more, though. Just so you guys are aware...evidently steps are becoming a big thing in mens haircuts again. The guys are all over using what is called a tattoo clipper, basically a set of clippers with only 3-4 cutting teeth in them to give you steps or designs in your head a la Vanilla Ice. Fantastic.

Next week is our written test. Exactly one week from today. I just about had a heart attack when she told us that today. Next week, we also have makeup week where we get our makeup kits. I'm very excited for that! Then Mar 9th, we have our floor test where we go over all the theory we've done. Like color applications with conditioner, rolling 9 perm rods., washing, conditioning and styling the hair. I have asked my sister to be my model, but I'm slightly afraid because she has super-thick, coarse hair. Note to self: remind sister she'd be my model and that it's next Monday.

On a completely related and yet unrelated subject, my hands are in total revolt. My eczema has become full-fledged nightmare mode right now. I look like a leper and some of my fingertips keep on splitting and bleeding. Great for me to do a haircut, right? Nobody will notice some blood in their hair, right?

2 comments:

  1. I have really severe eczema. The only thing that helps me is Elecon (mometasone furoate). It's prescription only, but it's truly the only thing that takes the redness off. It works well and quickly. You should ask your dermatologist about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had elecon before and it stopped working. I now have Ultravate, which is the strongest steroidal cream out there and even that doesn't heal my fingertips. It barely heals my elbows and backs of my knees. I have now graduated to prednisone, but I hate it so bad, I try not to take it unless unavoidable. I took it a week ago and still have this nastiness...guess I'll just slather with shea butter and try to get it healed up. It's a good thing I have 4 days off from school so it has a few days to heal without me playing with wet hair, what a suspect is part of the problem.

    ReplyDelete