Friday, February 20, 2009

War Wounds

I would have taken a picture, but I figured it would be nicer not to.

I've managed to make it through 7 weeks without any major battle wounds from class. I've made it through allergic reactions to the silicones in the conditioners (imagine that my eczema flare-ups were caused by silicones...huh), breaking a foot (not school related), perms, curling iron usage, hair dryer instruction and more without a mishap. Last night, that streak ended.

Like I posted last week, we started to learn how to do haircuts this week. Notice I said how to do a haircut, not doing haircuts? The haircut basics are ugly in real life. Monday was a review and going over how to hold our scissors. We were warned over and over that these blades are sharp. Still, people were a little blase about it. I was cautious because me and sharp objects don't get along. I know...smart profession to pick up. I have previous war wounds from every time my parents purchased a new knife. All on the same finger. Stitches were involved.

I made it through night one without any mishaps. Night two, I was sick, so I didn't make it in. Last night was night three of cutting. I made it almost the whole night, too! Right close to the end, I was going to make a cut when my thumb slipped out of the grip. I went to grab it sloppily and accidentally dragged the blade across my index finger. It scared me, so I immediately pulled the blade away. I thought it was just a scratch and it wasn't really bleeding, so I went back to cutting. We were warned. I played with the cut for a bit and it still wasn't bleeding (the blades cut so clean and so deep, you don't feel it and it doesn't start bleeding right away). Then I looked down and it was starting to bleed some more. I put a band-aid on it and finished up the cutting for the night. I went home and was prepared to take the band-aid off and go to bed. It's still bleeding. I took a look at the cut and realized it was pretty deep. Like deep enough I should have probably had stitches. It's still bleeding this morning.

So...yes...the blades are sharp. An accidental "scrape" gives me a slice that should've probably had stitches. I now have a healthier regard for my scissors. And another war wound adds to the character of the much maligned finger. Heaven forbid I ever get arrested and fingerprinted...That finger has some seriously unique patterns thanks to knives and now scissors.

No comments:

Post a Comment