Monday, March 30, 2009

And the hunger sets in

Okay, not really hunger, but the craving to eat, even if you're technically really not hungry. I found this cute picture and thought it was apt.

Do you think that might work? I'd give it a try. Right now I'm chugging down water and that helps to cut some of the hunger cravings.

Today was my first day on the actual 500 calorie diet. For the first 3 days, you're supposed to gorge yourself. I didn't quite manage that, but did eat a lot more than I usually do. People who have done it tell me that if you didn't eat enough during the loading days, you tend to get hungry during the diet days. Oh, well. I have some Hoodia pills I can take.

On the up side, the diet isn't as restrictive as I thought it would be. I thought I was only restricted to apples, grapefruit and strawberries for my fruits. Turnes out I can eat apples, oranges, strawberries, grapefruit, fresh peaches, fresh plums, cherries and dried apricots.

My real worry was the veggies because I'm a really picky eater. I thought I could only eat spinach, chard, chicory, beet-greens, green salad, tomatoes, celery, fennel, onions, red radishes, cucumbers, asparagus, cabbage. I hate cooked spinach, chard, chicory, beet-greens, raw tomatoes, fennel cucumbers and would rather not eat asparagus. Good news! According to my booklet, not the internet, I can have Broccoli, Celery, Fennel, Cabbage, Cucumbers, Green or Red Peppers, Spinach, Green Beans, Cauliflower, Radishes, Zucchini, mushrooms, onions, garlic, lettuce, chard, asparagus, eggplant and tomatoes. Much better! I adore broccoli, Green and Red Bell Peppers, Green Beans, Cauliflower and eggplant (sometimes).

The way the diet goes is you generally do not eat breakfast, only drink coffee (I don't drink coffee), tea (sometimes herbal) or water. You can only have 1 tbsp of milk per day and can only sweeten the drink with either stevia (A wonderful, wonderful products) or saccharin. You can also have up to 1 tsp of agave nectar for cooking if needed.

So I had some water for breakfast and was starting to get hungry at about 11:oo, not relishing what I could eat. I looked at the cookbook included with my instruction booklet and found some really good recipes! I decided to make fajitas and they were yummy! I even made my own fajita seasoning! It was great just as it was, even without tortillas. I also had some slightly questionable apples. We buy the pre-sliced organic apples that come in individual bags with the right serving. Well, if you don't eat them quick enough, they start to spoil. Some of my slices were like that, but it didn't matter because I was full.

Tonight, I think I'm going to make oven fried chicken. No oil, just chicken coated in seasonings and some crushed up crackers and backed. Yummy. And probably some broccoli and cauliflower and maybe a plum. Yum!

Anyway, so far, so good! Tomorrow, I might be brave and post my weight loss...if there is any!

2 comments:

  1. Bravo! ... keep up the good work.
    I noticed this post on a blog search for chicken, and added this post to my "Chicken on Tuesday" links.

    Cheers from SpeedyCat in Minnesota :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I think your dinner sounds yummy. Hang in there...you can do it. But, as a person who struggles all the time with weight, I hate being short, I do know just exactly how hungry you can get!!

    Good luck!!
    ~Jackie:-)

    ReplyDelete