Saturday, March 28, 2009

I'm a Twilight Freak

Yes, that's right. I'm a Twilight fan. I actually read the whole series earlier this year and loved it. Though the books were quite wordy for my tastes (I thought it could have been covered in 1-2 books, personally, but hey...I'm not an author), I loved the writing style and witty passages that made me laugh when I was the only one in the room. I loved the vision of the author in her imagined world of the vampires. I love that she made them more human and less animal. I love that she has an awkward heroine. I love the diverse experiences and knowledge that I inadvertently gained by reading these books.

I love reading romance novels anyway. I don't have any romance in my life, so I figure I can live vicariously through books and boy, did this one deliver. I found myself slightly frustrated as I was reading, wishing Edward would just break down, but secretly egging him on to stay strong.

So when the movie came out, I had to see it. I love the movie and it's been on my TV constantly for the past week it's been out. Things are obviously different from the way I saw them in my head, but I think the director did an awesome job. Though I hated Rosalie in the book, I loved her small part in the movie. Emmett cracked me up to no end in the movie, he's just like a little kid, excited at every aspect of life. Alice looked a little different than I pictured her (I envisioned a pixie cut, not the longer style they sported), but visually her overall character was dead on. Jasper was a slight disappointment. I wish they had portraid his "power" more and had shown him a little more relaxed. While I though him awkward with the other characters in the movie, when they showed outtakes, he fit in so much better as he acted more relaxed. Yeah, I realize he's struggling with his thirst, but I never envisioned him so stiff. I imagined Esme different, but loved the character in the movie. And Carlisle...wow. He's better than I imagined in my head. One of my favorite lines from the movie is when they're playing baseball and Bella calls Rosalie out and Carlisle taunts her by saying "Nice kitty." Hilarious!

Perhaps my biggest struggle with the movie was Edward. I love Rob Pattinson as Edward and don't think they could have cast it any better. But at times I see him in the movie and think, "He's just not that attractive." Then he smiles or cracks a joke or just relaxes slightly and I can see the hotness factor. And yes, I probably will see the new movie he's in, even if it is a scary movie. I don't do scary movies. My mind works overtime with those kinds of things. Probably why I love the Romance genre so much.

I have 20+ movies on my iPod, but this is the only movie I've watched since it came out. I was the same way with Pride and Prejudice and Another Cinderella Story (hold the mocking, please). So yes, I am a Twilight Freak. I'm okay with it.

2 comments:

  1. I purchased the DVD last week and couldn't wait to watch it...but once I did ended up just a tad disappointed;-(. Like you I'm a twilight fan, but found the books a heck of a lot more entertaining!! Hopefully the second installment will pick up a bit;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. The book was MUCH better than the movie and there were parts I wish they had put it, but overall I love the movie, too. The movie didn't portray the humor and witticism of the author and characters, but that's sometimes hard to portray in a movie and keep it flowing. And I have to keep in mind that the first book was somewhat slow moving anyway.

    ReplyDelete