Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Day 2

Day two was much better than day 1. It was slightly hectic as my locker to lock all my stuff in was occupied already and it was snowing again. No matter. I made it and that's all that matters.

Day 2, we learned how we think. We did a "personality test" to determine whether we were Stringers or Groupers. Stringers, simply put, love order and a structured learning environment. They are list makers, plan every detail, etc. Groupers are very general. They like to learn a little bit of everything and can easily get distracted by other more interesting subject matter. They plan things in a broader aspect and usually do it all in their head instead of on paper. Anybody wanna hazard a guess as to what I am? I am a Grouper.

We did an exercise where the Groupers (5 of us) formed a group and the Stringers (2 groups of 4-5) formed groups and we had to plan a vacation. We had to figure out where we were going, how we were getting there, what we were going to do and what we needed to bring. Not unexpectedly, the Stringers made detailed lists and chose one location and chose many activities. Us poor Groupers...we chose 3 countries, 3 modes of getting to them, alcohol (I don't drink, but apparently my classmates are a bunch of lushes) and one other activity was planned for each location. And it was all listed in pictures. Guess we really are broad-spectrum thinkers, huh?

After that, we paired off and learned how to drape a guest (client). We learned how to use those funky haircut papers that looks like crepe paper. Ew. Then we learned how to drape using 1 towel, then 2 towels. Then that was pretty much the end of the night.

My partner lately (for the past 2 days, we end up sitting together) and I were talking with out instructor and sharing funny stories about our fathers, who all seem to be the same way (they fiddle and love to jimmy-rig things together to make them work). And we're products of our fathers, which make us good candidates for the school because you usually have to creatively solve something. We've had that as life experience, so we're right where we need to be.

Oh! And it is officially out that I henna my hair. My instructor cornered me during break and asked me if my hair color was natural (our colors are similar). I replied that it wasn't and she expressed relief as she would have to beat me down if it was. What a compliment...she likes my hair color. BUT. She asked what colors I use. So I revealed that I use henna. I expected a cringe and a lecture, but she was surprisingly cool and just told me to remind anybody who tried to lighten my hair that bleach doesn't work on me.

Day 3 promises to be interesting. We're learning how to shampoo, condition, scalp massage and blow dry. The scalp massage is done with tea tree oil and some carrier oil. They asked if anybody is allergic to peanuts. Guess who is? Me. Fantabulous. I'm already a problem maker. So, we're going to make an adjustment for me. Also, I don't use sulfate shampoos very often on my hair, so a fellow poster on nc.com suggested I just set my standards right now and bring my own hair products in to use and just say that I'm sensitive to sulfate shampoos and silicones. Brilliant! So, I'll further my problem-maker status tonight. The hair dryer portion kinda terrifies me as without product, my hair turns into a triangle of frizzy poof. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Just look at the blowdrying experience this way: your classmates ARE going to have to eventually deal with a curly. Best they know what they're up against now (and you'll have one up on them all, after dealing with your own hair for years :) )

    ReplyDelete