Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Product Hunt

Last night, I talked to my instructor and told her I have a sensitivity to sulfate shampoo and silicones and asked her if it would be possible for me to bring my own products in to use instead of theirs. She suggested products that might be silicone free (Yeah, right), and was looking at them and didn't really even know what to look for, so handed the bottle to me to look through the ingredients. How can a company produce a graduate that is supposed to push products when they don't even know what's in them?

After determining the one product she thought might be silicone free had silicones in it, she went and talked to the head of the night school program to see if he knew of any products that might fall into my guidelines. They even trekked over to the store (in the school) and looked at all the bottles of shampoo and conditioners, including the new PM Pet products (Seriously, it's exactly like it sounds. Paul Mitchell products for pets). Lo and behold...nothing is sulfate free or silicone free, including the pet products.

It was suggested that I contact JPMS (the John Paul Mitchell System) by e-mail and ask them if they had any products that were silicone and sulfate free. I got home last night and hopped on their website and looked for the Contact Us part on the site. I found it, but no e-mail address. I Googled it, no dice. So, this morning, I called the number. This is one difficult company to get ahold of a live person. I had to leave a message and they're supposed to get back to me. So I'm temporarily on hold in my search to stay sulfate and silicone free while in school.

I have a feeling eventually they'll relent and allow me to bring my own products in to use, but I think I have to jump through the hoops to show due process. Guess we'll see, huh?

Edited to Add:
I heard back from JPMS. The prognosis is bad. While their shampoos are silicone free, they all have some kind of sulfate and not the coco-betaine or whatever kind. All of the conditioners have silicones in them, which would explain why all of the shampoos have sulfates in them. Bummer.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a no win situation:-(. It's amazing to me that the instructor was clueless...!

    BTW, thanks for adding me to your blogroll;-).

    ReplyDelete