Friday, January 16, 2009

Styling

Yesterday, we did a grand mixture of stuff. We started out the night doing inverted french braids, which were surprisingly easy. Then we moved to corn rows. I thought my head would explode. Those things are hard! And it didn't help that my mannequin head's hair all pushes forward. I ended up doing the braid on the crown of the head toward the forehead. Then finally, we finished with french twist. Those are surprisingly more difficult than I thought, but not too difficult.

I'm going to vere slightly off subject here because it's my prerogative. There is one instructor who wanders in all the time. He's so funny. One day last week, he was observing while we were doing french braids and the such and somehow I mentioned that my hair won't stay in a french braid. He assured me that it would. Well, I had my hair in a fake-it-til-you-make-it updo, so it probably looked longer than it is and I told him that. He insisted he could make a french braid stick. I whatevered and moved on to my next task.

So lately, he's been dropping by and (this is where I think I'm getting a little full of myself) he always seems to stop by me and just stand there. And he seems to be fascinated by my hair. Granted, it's bright red...and curly-ish, so that's usually a source for some fascination with some people even though I don't get it. Yesterday, I had my hair in another updo and I must admit, it looked pretty pimp. He came by and had been helping me with the corn rows, then just dropped by later. Somehow (conversations with him are random) we got on the subject that I haven't had a haircut since April (turns out it's more like June-July, maybe later, but it's still been a while) and he was slightly flabbergasted. Then I mentioned that it doesn't show since I wear my hair curly and don't have to worry about damage. He graciously agreed, then asked me exactly how long my hair is. I told him it was about an inch or two past my shoulders and he seemed surprised and said, "Oh, so it's pretty short." 'Scuse me...this is the longest my hair has ever been! I kept my sarcastic retort to myself and agreed because it is technically pretty short. Guess he expected it to be longer from the faux updos!

Anyhoo...my point is...I can't tell if he's flirting (could be gay, I can't tell. It would be a crying shame if he were) or just wants to get his hands on my hair. I must admit, I have a half-crush on him. What makes it even more fun is that he's totally not what I go for normally.

So, the rest of the night was spent trying to duplicate a hairstyle we picked out. Because my head was so nasty, I decided to go wet it, condition it and dry it so the hair would fall backward instead of forward. Then I had to dry it. It took me so long to dry it that I didn't get a chance to actually try my style. Bummer. But I brought one of my heads home so I can practice everything this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment